Re: [O] [babel] link type to execute src_block

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [babel] link type to execute src_block
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:13:27 -0600

Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
> is there a way already to execute a (named source block) by creating a
> link type?
> I checked the manual and there is a link type for shell and elisp but
> it seems not for babel.
> Something like
>
> [[babel: src_block_name()][Text]]
>
> With this, one could create all kind of little features within an org-file
> * start often used shell, python, and other language scripts,
> * start little GUIs in a different programming  language (e.g., java
> works fine) to allow a more mouse centric input (there was a tablet
> discussion recently)
> * link blocks to descriptive text making reproducible research more
> readable  (e.g. ...after the applying a _FFT-transform_, the dataset
> was _plotted_....)
>
> Would be nice to have the option to either execute the link and to
> jump to the code block

No such link type exists, although the custom link creation
functionality is fairly powerful so I would imagine that you could
create such a link type locally without any requirement to modify the
Org-mode source code.  If you do this it would be a fun thing to share
on the list and/or on worg.

As an interim solution the `sbe' function could be used inside of an
elisp link to easily execute code blocks in the same way it is used in
table formula.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte