[O] problem with find-file in --eval from command line

From: Herbert Sitz
Subject: [O] problem with find-file in --eval from command line
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:31:22 +0000 (UTC)

I'm trying to start emacs from the command line and using an --eval section to
open a file and do some operations.  I'm having a problem with the Linux
version.

Here's how I do it without error using the strange quoting in Windows:

--->  emacs --eval ^"( find-file c:/users/myname/somefile.org\^" )^"

In Linux I'm not sure how to do the quoting.  I tried this:

--->  emacs --eval "( find-file "/home/somefile.org" )"

And I get the error:

   Symbols' value as variable is void:  /home/somefile\.org

It seems there's some problem with the period in the filename, but maybe it's
more than that.  Can anyone explain how to properly quote the Linux commandline
version?  (File comes up fine if I just do find-file in a running emacs.)

Thanks,

Herb