Re: [O] Experiences with "literate elisp" and ob-tangle?

From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
Subject: Re: [O] Experiences with "literate elisp" and ob-tangle?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:18:51 -0300

I've been using the Emacs starter kit for some time and I must say it is
excellent. Before making the change, I already had my Emacs initialization
broken-down into smaller .el files that were loaded by the master file. It
was as much organized as I could be, but not enough. It always required
more work when I needed to make any changes than I would like.

With the starter-kit I now use only a single org file for everything. The
outline-structure of org-mode allows me to have my initialization broken
down into smaller pieces in a more natural way without any extra
work. Also, it is much easier to locate any part of my initialization that
I want to change, since everything is in a single file and now I have tags.

Another bonus feature is that I can easily disable/enable parts of my
initialization simple by setting the tangle property of a sub-tree to
"nil", as well as putting "COMMENT" in the beginning of it (COMMENT will be
red, but has no effect besides identify a disabled sub-tree). This is
better than locating and commenting the undesired/desired lisp code in my
previous .el files. This allowed me to identify bottlenecks and optimize my
Emacs initialization.

--
Darlan