Re: [O] indenting nested TODOs in agenda views

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] indenting nested TODOs in agenda views
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:06:20 -0500

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Olivier Schwander
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Yes, I was looking for the same kind of thing some times ago. But I do
> not have any idea of how we may present the agenda view. Maybe it should
> be better do display the path to a TODO item, since parent item may be
> not TODO items by themselves, like this:
>
> * Garden
> ** TODO Cut the flowers
> ** TODO Cut the flowers
>
> should be presented somehow like in the refile view, as:
>
> TODO Garden / Cut the flowers
> TODO Home / Cut the flowers
>
> instead of the unclear:
>
> TODO Cut the flowers
> TODO Cut the flowers
>
> Actually, I wonder how people deals with this kind of tasks. Are you
> relying on tags ? For example with :garden: and :home: in my previous
> example ?

I *just* corresponded with the list about something like this within
the last month or two, but can't find the thread. The response I got
back was that the person relied on adding descriptive words to all the
todos, which is what I've been doing, but I don't like it. I host a
lot of external vendors at work and have the same structure for all of
them:

----------
* proj [/] host vendor x
** todo set date
** todo book room
** todo request abstract
** todo submit event announcement
** todo post presentation online

They're so similar that I can just copy/yank the subtree from one to
the other... but then I have to go change each to:

** todo x: set date

and so on. Time consuming and non-ideal. It would be great to know
what the subtask belongs to for things like this. When I have two
vendors within a week or two, it gets confusing.

JOhn