Re: [O] git diff: hunk header config

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [O] git diff: hunk header config
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:47:10 +0200

Hi Michael,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Michael Brand
<address@hidden> wrote:
> 1) Since there has been no feedback yet I'd like to bump my previous
> post repeated below. I would like to have the config of the repo
> orgmode.org/org-mode.git to be extended to support more useful diff
> hunk headers containing e. g. the prototype of the current function
> for *.el files. Like
> "@@ -12991,7 +12991,7 @@ (defun org-align-tags-here (to-col)"
> instead of the current
> "@@ -12991,7 +12991,7 @@ If ONOFF is `on' or `off', don't toggle but set to
> thi"
> Can this be done in the repo orgmode.org/org-mode.git at all?
> Effective for everyone after only git pull?

This is a very useful config. Thanks for pointing it out. But don't
you think this is a client side setting? As far as I am aware,
settings don't carry over from the remote repository. Its distributed
versioning after all. :)

To make this a server side setting, you would have to add .git/config
and .gitattributes to the repo. But I think that is not correct as
many users might have their own settings that will have to be remerged
at every update.

What do you think? In any case, I think this would be a wonderful
addition to org-faq.org on Worg.

--
Suvayu