Re: [O] Wishlist: LaTeX export: automatically append backslash to "." un

From: András Major
Subject: Re: [O] Wishlist: LaTeX export: automatically append backslash to "." unless at end of sentence
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:39:50 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Will,

> > I'm fully aware of that, but that also messes up the spacing between
> > sentences.  My proposed solution should be robust enough to be
> > more-or-less foolproof yet produce nice-looking output.
>
> What is nice-looking is a matter of personal taste. Personally, I tend
> to prefer everything close-set, as with \frenchspacing, although that

For that, you can use \frenchspacing in the latex header.

> If you _do_ want to keep the wider inter-sentence spacing, then you
> also need to worry about sentences that end with upper-case letters.

True, but that is, in my experience, a very rare thing to happen.  In
all the years of writing documents in (La)TeX, I don't think I've had
a single occurrence of this case.  You can, of course, make the export
code even more sophisticated and check for this case and adapt the
output accordingly.  Then the only rule for the user to remember would
be as simple as this: single space in org maps to inter-word space in
the output, double space maps to inter-sentence space.

> If you are going to go this way, I think it should be optional. Not
> everyone uses double spaces between sentences in their ascii text.

I think that the same people wouldn't mind slightly wrong spacing in
the printed output either.

  András