Re: [O] [odt] User-visible improvements

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] [odt] User-visible improvements
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:14:55 +0530

suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Jambu and Bastien,
>
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi Jambunathan,
>>
>> these are great improvements -- I'm surprised people didn't thank
>> you more for this!  So, thanks.
>>

> Does this feature mean we can export to other common word processor
> formats like .doc using the odt exporter and command line utilities
> for the final conversion? Although this is not of direct interest to
> me (I stay away from anything not Linux :-p), it might be interesting
> to my Mac/Windows friends. :)

Yes.

org->odt-><whatever including doc and pdf>

First link in the chain is through an org backend and the second link in
the chain is through a converter.

(Think of exporting to latex natively and then using pdflated to
generate pdf. The principle is just the same)

> I also see Jambu mentions odp to pdf.

Yes you can convert to already-existing_odp->pdf. More specifically you
can do all conversions that you typically do with "Save As" and "Export
to" options while working on Writer/Presentation/Spreadsheet/Web/Drawing
documents.

More specifically if you have latex, docbook or mediawiki extensions
installed you can export do a html->latex, odt->docbook, rtf->mediawiki
throught the converter.

The command to use is

M-x org-lparse-convert RET <give the document> RET <choose the final
format> RET

and the external converter will do the job for you.

> I wasn't aware the odt exporter could export to odp.

You do a org->odt->odp. This is an easter egg in BasicODConverter (and
this feature is not available in unoconv). You can add a odp entry in
org-lparse-convert-capabilities as below

,----
| (("Text"  <---- Under Text category
|   ("odt" "ott" "doc" "rtf")
|   (("pdf" "pdf")
|    ("odt" "odt")
|    ("xhtml" "html")
|    ("rtf" "rtf")
|    ("ott" "ott")
|    ("doc" "doc")
|    ("ooxml" "xml")
|    ("html" "html")
|    ("odp" "odp"))) <---- Add this entry
|   [snip])
`----

odt->odp currently uses File->Send->Outline To Presentation
(BasicODConverter is authored by me. So without much of haggling :-) I
can have it do File->Send->Autoabstract to Presentation)

This is an asynchronous call and it is NOT headless. So basically the
LibreOffice window will pop-up and wait for few second before declaring
that conversion is done.

If there is enough interest in this direction I would file a feature
request against LibreOffice to provide a synchronous API for outline to
presentation conversion. (From the OpenOffice mailing list I understand
that odt->html conversion was asynchronous but was later converter to
synchronous mechanism based on a bug report filed by the JODConverter)

,---- from Main.Bas in BasicODConverter dir
|       ' Export Outline to Presentation
|       dispatcher = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")
|       dispatcher.executeDispatch(inDoc.CurrentController.Frame,
".uno:SendOutlineToStarImpress", "", 0, Array())

`----