Re: [O] A new module for Org-mode: Org-X

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] A new module for Org-mode: Org-X
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:42:09 +0200

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:
> The backend gets to define what the parts of an entry are.  Some backends will
> import actual content into the related Org entry, while others will only
> import a link back to the original content.  This is what I would do for a
> backend that monitors files within an "Inbox" directory, for example.

Still clear as mud... I'll have to give this more time to think over.

>> LZW: is there really nothing in Emacs that already does this? In any case it
>> seems to belong into an own library and should probably be unbundled from
>> org before long.
>
> There's really not!  I wrote it because I imagine at some point wanting to
> take a snapshot of the "state" of an entry, for the purpose of accelerating
> certain backends, but I haven't yet found that use.  For now, it's just living
> in ox-lzw so that it's under version control.  If it becomes useful, I'll
> submit it to Emacs separately and ahead of Org-X.

That's what I was suspecting.  It appears you're re-inventing certain
aspects of serialization/deserialization and that might come in handy
for a lot more things.  For starters, if it was built-in into Emacs that
whole business of dumping a bootstrapped Emacs and doing horrible things
to the resulting file to be able to get it back to life would probably
become uneccesary...

Regards,
Achim.