Re: [O] A new module for Org-mode: Org-X

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [O] A new module for Org-mode: Org-X
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 17:19:52 -0500

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

> Wow. This looks like exactly what I want to achieve with the
> «Memacs» project on [1]. We certainly need to exchange ideas and
> code :-)

They sure do sound similar in spirit!!  It's like we are tuned to the same
wavelength. :)

> Our plan is to use Python to simply generate org (archive) files from
> different sources since we do have no ELISP knowledge and Python does
> already have beautiful libraries for RegEx, string manipulation, XML, JSON,

I have to say that one of my personal requirements is that such a system be
implemented as much in Emacs Lisp as possible.  I hate debugging code that's
"in between" Emacs and some other system.  Plus, I have excellent
documentation, debugging and profiling resources available to me in Emacs, but
I've never found anything close to equivalent in Python (and I've tried them
all: ipython, pydb, ropemacs, etc).  Developing in Emacs is just so efficient
and fun, that I do it as much for recreation as to get things done.

> We do not have any code yet but two of my students began to work on the
> project.

Are they Lisp programmers?  If so, perhaps we could combine our efforts.
There are many backends I'd like to write -- such as one that automatically
records "ticked" articles in my Inbox as linked Org tasks -- but I only have
so much time in each day.

Since my own needs are immediate for this project, I should have the first
three backends for Org-X completed by month's end.  By that time, the core API
should be stable and I'll be ready to merge this code into main.  I've also
been writing for org.texi at the same time, so it will come fully documented
when it arrives.

John