Re: [O] Keeping an eye on byte-compilation warnings

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Keeping an eye on byte-compilation warnings
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 10:14:42 +0200

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:
> Maybe we're all using different versions of Emacs, but I find that
> byte-compilation warnings keep increasing as time goes by.  I'd like to ask
> people to compile their code before committing, to keep the build log clean.
> It looks messy when there are lots of unnecessary warnings.

Thank you for bringing this up (again).  A few comments:

The function that calls org-agenda-todo probably belongs into
org-agenda.

The function org-copy-visible uses two function from org-exp.el, but
probably doesn't belong there, so a declaration of these two functions
would be needed.  I don't think autoloading during compile is
appropriate (does that even work?), and I'm not a huge fan of using
require in eval-when-compile for in-package functions (it's OK for
external dependencies).  In a nutshell, that only works correctly when
the dependencies between the lisp files are correctly defined or if the
byte-compiled files are always removed before starting a new
byte-compile.  Since there are quite a few circular dependencies
introduced by using require rather than declarations, only the latter
currently works (and hence the usual incantation of 'make clean && make
compile', which would not be necessary otherwise).

Can you recommend a package that can extract the dependencies and
perhaps highlight the circulars?  There is a page in EmacsWiki with some
libraries, but I haven't worked with them yet.  It seems like a good
idea to try and untangle that cicular dependencies mess...

Regards,
Achim.