[O] Equation references for HTML: suggested approaches?

From: Ahmed Fasih
Subject: [O] Equation references for HTML: suggested approaches?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:15:49 -0400

Hi, I've been using org-mode very successfully to output Latex, and
have used successfully Latex math modes like "equation" to number
equations and reference them:

\begin{equation}
\label{eq-myeq}
a = 1
\end{equation}

We have defined something in (\ref{eq-myeq}).

In HTML output, however, the equation isn't numbered and this
reference is rendered as anchored links that don't exist in the file.

I realize that there's some debate in MathJax to add this
functionality, but I write today specifically to ask what workarounds
people use to get equation numbering and referencing in HTML output,
as a stopgap solution?
- The org-mode method of embedding and linking to *images* works great
for Latex output and ok for HTML output (where figures aren't
numbered, and references to them use their caption instead of a
number---which is passable), but I can't find a way to use this with
equations.
- I've also tried to use local search links, e.g., [[-eq-myeq]] but
this doesn't seem to work ("No match - create this as a new
heading?").

So is there a simple workaround to get numbered equations and
references in HTML that people currently use while a robust solution
is being worked on?
Thanks for your help!
Ahmed