Re: [O] ebib configuration for org-bibtex

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] ebib configuration for org-bibtex
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 09:09:03 -1000

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> Aloha all,
>>
>> I'm trying, partially successfully, to configure org-bibtex so it mimics
>> some useful features of ebib.  In particular, I'm wanting to add several
>> optional fields that ebib uses.
>>

>> I have this in .emacs:
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
>>   (dolist (type org-bibtex-types)
>>     (push :url (cdr (assoc :optional (cdr type))))
>>     (push :annote (cdr (assoc :optional (cdr type))))
>>     (push :abstract (cdr (assoc :optional (cdr type))))
>>     (push :keywords (cdr (assoc :optional (cdr type))))
>>     (push :file (cdr (assoc :optional (cdr type))))
>> )
>>
>>   (push (cons :url "A URL for the reference") org-bibtex-fields)
>>   (push (cons :annote "Annotation is typically not exported")
>> org-bibtex-fields)
>>   (push (cons :abstract "Abstract for annotated bibliography")
>> org-bibtex-fields)
>>   (push (cons :keywords "Keywords for sorting with ebib") org-bibtex-fields)
>>   (push (cons :file "A local file path used by ebib to open the
>>   reference in an appropriate application") org-bibtex-fields)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> Most of it works fine, but the optional :file field doesn't respect its
>> argument.  So, the following entry in the Org-mode file:
>>

> Hi Tom,
>
> The :file property is treated in a special manner when Org-mode resolves
> properties (notice it is an element of the `org-special-properties'
> variable).  I've just pushed up a change which temporarily removes :file
> from this list while resolving bibtex entries.  This change should fix
> your reported problem -- please let me know if it doesn't.  If any other
> elements of `org-special-properties' seem likely to cause problems we
> can temporarily remove them as well.
>
> Best -- Eric

Hi Eric,

I looked up org-special-properties:

org-special-properties is a variable defined in `org.el'.
Its value is
("TODO" "TAGS" "ALLTAGS" "DEADLINE" "SCHEDULED" "CLOCK" "CLOSED" "PRIORITY"
"TIMESTAMP" "TIMESTAMP_IA" "BLOCKED" "FILE" "CLOCKSUM")

It looks to me as if FILE is the only one likely to play mischief with
bib files.

Thanks for the fix, which works as expected here.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye