Re: [O] [babel] tangle from within codeblock?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [babel] tangle from within codeblock?
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 11:13:07 -0600

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi
>
> I have an R package in org, and would like to tangle it before I submit to
> svn.
>
> I commit via a code block:
>
> #+begin_src sh :results output
> svn commit  -m "edits"
> #+end_src
>
> How can I tangle automatically before I commit? I could use batch execution
> as described in  http://orgmode.org/manual/Batch-execution.html but I think
> it would be useless to start another emacs instance? I thought that I could
> put it into a header variable to have it evaluated, but I seem to be missing
> something:
>
> * test
> #+begin_src sh :tangle test.sh :var TANGLED=(org-babel-tangle)
>   echo TEST''
> #+end_src
>
> But I get an error:
>
> Saving file /home/rkrug/tmp/test.org...
> Wrote /home/rkrug/tmp/test.org
> (No changes need to be saved) [56 times]
> cons: Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'
>
> I have the feeling, I am missing something small.
>
> Is there a different way to achieve this?

Hi Rainer,

You are very close, the problem is that the code block whose header
argument initiates the tangling should not itself be tangled, otherwise
you will wind up with the infinite recursion error you've noticed.

A setup like the following should work...

** tangle before evaluating a code block

#+begin_src sh :var TANGLED=(org-babel-tangle) :tangle no
  wc $TANGLED
#+end_src

#+results:
: 2  2 11 it.sh