[O] New[er] TikZ package: pgfgantt (interest in using with org?)

From: John Hendy
Subject: [O] New[er] TikZ package: pgfgantt (interest in using with org?)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 21:28:04 -0500

I thought I'd go ahead and just start a fresh post form the orgmode ->
tikz/gantt topic here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/31824

Eric Fraga did a fantastic job of creating some TikZ code that could
create a gantt chart from a table. Since then, it appears that a
package was created for TikZ that would actually do all of this. It's
quite well documented and looks incredibly well done. See the
documentation here:
http://mirror.ctan.org/graphics/pgf/contrib/pgfgantt/pgfgantt.pdf

There are great examples in the documentation, and I think there's
*got* to be some way to integrate either org-mode tables or perhaps
properties somehow in creating these. I find gantt charts useful for
1) personal management and just knowing a timeline for when things
need to get done and 2) for management who wants to know these kinds
of things.

While agenda is quite helpful, there is something about seeing a
bird's eye view of everything nested together that's really slick.

Any thoughts on whether there's interest in this? There's a similar
package for ConTeXt, but I don't know anything about ConTeXt (when I
first saw it, I thought this was for LaTeX and was really puzzled
about why I couldn't get it to compile). See the following:
--- http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Gantt-tikz
--- http://www.martin-kumm.de/tex_gantt_package.php

I think the pgfgantt package does everything for basic use, and more.
I don't see a reason to go the ConTeXt route, but just provided it for
information.

This is already usable in LaTeX code blocks... but integration with
org-mode would be superb and could perhaps replace the need for Task
Juggler. It seems cleaner to me, though perhaps others get more out of
Task Juggler than just gantt charts. That's my primary interest, and
so exporting to a .tjp file and then needing to run from command line,
and then printing the html to PDF... is a bit laborious. This is right
in the org -> LaTeX workflow and really does a nice, neat job of
providing the necessary info.

Thanks for any thoughts!
John