Re: [O] Script: convert Tomboy/GNote XML to org-mode

From: attila
Subject: Re: [O] Script: convert Tomboy/GNote XML to org-mode
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 14:10:14 -0500

On 08/03/2011 11:48 AM, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:

> Thanks for sharing this. I've wanted to convert my tomboy notes to org-mode
> for some time.
>
> I downloaded the script and tried to run it with
> : ./tomboy2org.pl -help
> but I got the error message below
> Can't locate Text/Format.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5
> /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at ./tomboy2org.pl line 44.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./tomboy2org.pl line 44.
>
> Maybe I need to install some library, but I know nothing about Perl to fix
> this myself.

Hi, thanks for pointing this out.  I should make the dependencies
explicit at least in the README, but to be clear they are:

    XML::Twig
    Text::Format

The other modules I depend on are (almost?) always installed by
default, at least in every Perl installation I've seen recently:

    Pod::Usage
    Sys::Hostname;
    IO::File;
    POSIX;

You don't say what platform you are using so I can't tell you exactly
how to get any missing modules installed for your situation, but here's
a stab at it:

Debian names the packages for Perl modules something like
    lib<name-of-module-in-lowercase-with-hyphens>-perl
so Text::Format becomes libtext-format-perl.

On Ubuntu Linux and other Debian-derived Linux distros you therefore
do something like this to get this package installed:

  $ sudo apt-get install libtext-format-perl

If the above doesn't apply to you and your system has the cpan command
installed, you can also do this:

  $ sudo cpan -i Text::Format

The second solution above will probably work on modern releases of
your favorite BSD Unix flavor; I just checked on OpenBSD and NetBSD
systems I have access to and they both have this command.

If you are not much for Unix system administration, the "sudo" command
gives you temporary administrative powers for the purposes of a single
command; your mileage may vary depending on your situation.

Finally, if all else fails Text::Format is available from CPAN here:

http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/S/SH/SHLOMIF/Text-Format-0.53.tar.gz

The usual recipe (after you've downloaded that file however) is:

  $ tar zxvf /path/to/Text-Format-0.53.tar.gz
  $ cd Text-Format-0.53
  $ perl Makefile.PL
  $ make
  $ make test
  # assuming make test does not kick out any errors:
  $ sudo make install

> --
> Darlan

Hope this helps.