Re: [O] making coloured tables

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] making coloured tables
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 09:38:50 +0200

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Andras,

Andras Major wrote:
>>> I'm really intrigued by org-mode's table and spreadsheet functionality and
>>> would like to use it for those cases where I found excel and gnumeric
>>> impractically cumbersome.
>>>
>>> What I want are two slightly diffent things:
>>>
>>> - Make tables that have cells with individual background colours when
>>>   exported as HTML or PDF.
>>>
>>> - Make tables that have cells with background colours and typeface details
>>>   (bold, italic, etc.) based on contents of either the cells themselves or
>>>   other cells in the table. (Example: mark all negative numerical values
>>>   of a table with a red background.)
>>>
>>> Furthermore, the colouring should be portable, i.e. independent of the
>>> settings in .emacs.
>>
>> I add wishes on the above list. Maybe someone will be able to implement
>> them, if they seem to make sense... So, here's my idea: having some
>> automagic style (background) applied on the cells to distinguish:
>>
>> - the input cells (the ones you cannot delete... without troubles): they
>>   don't have any formula associated with them
>>
>> - the final result cells: the ones with computed results
>>
>> - the other ones, whose content is computed, but serves as input to other
>>   cells.
>>
>> Would these be in different colors, I think it would make the reading of
>> tables much more efficient. And, as far as I know, this does not exist yet
>> in tools like Excel -- though people can manually apply such color
>> conventions.
>
> I was thinking along slightly different lines. We have a customizable <td>
> tag in HTML export already, but that customization isn't very flexible. If
> we could have something like a <td> tag that can be set from values in the
> table, or by Lisp code, then I think that would solve my problems.

My above feature of the wishlist isn't for export -- I misread your original
post. Just speaking of editing feature in the Org buffer, for giving more
insight on formulas in tables.

I think that would be very useful feature to be included - I trashed a few times already (fairly simple) tables because of modifying formula cells....

Cheers,

Rainer

These "color features" weren't intended IMHO for export. So the 2 "problems"
are in fact apart from each other.

> It's important, however, that setting the export tag must be local to the
> Org file so I can set it there instead of the global .emacs.

Best regards,
 Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban