Re: [O] Attachments and refiling

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Attachments and refiling
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:51:54 +0200

Hi Darlan,

here is how I see the situation regarding attachments:

1. org-attach.el is nice because it makes it easy to attach a file to a
   task, while not *worrying* about where the file is on the harddrive.

2. Adding an ATTACH_DIR property will always add an absolute path, so
   there is no problem when moving an entry with an explicit ATTACH_DIR.

3. Refiling/archiving subtrees lose track of some attachments when the
   attach directory "data/" is *relative* to the org file (which is the
   default) and when the target org file is not in the same directory.

4. Moving an entry with an ATTACH_DIR_INHERIT will lose attachments
   when the ATTACH_DIR of the target entry is different.

(3) and (4) are two distinct problems.

I suggest fixing problem (3) by making `org-attach-dir' defaulting to
"~/.org-attachments/".  I

I suggest fixing problem (4) by explicitely replacing ATTACH_DIR_INHERIT
with the corresponding ATTACH_DIR when the target subtree has a
different ATTACH_DIR.

The core idea is that I want to avoid moving files themselves: I think
it's a risky road, and I hope the solutions above will make this road
unnecessary.

I'm interested in feedback and ideas about such proposed changes.

Thanks a lot!

--
 Bastien