Re: [O] Habits not showing in agenda and no progress graph

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Habits not showing in agenda and no progress graph
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:18:19 -0500

Thanks to both you and Michael for persisting with me!

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Memnon Anon
<address@hidden> wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ah. That might have done it. I was playing around a bit tonight and
>> noticed that if I changed the scheduled date, I got a little
>> multi-colored bar looking thing in agenda week view. Is that the
>> "graph"?
>
> Yes.

Got it.

<snip>

> A setting of
>  org-habit-following-days 7
>  org-habit-preceding-days 21
>  org-habit-show-habits-only-for-today t
> will show that graph, representing the past 3 weeks and the next week
> ahead in your *daily* Agenda for today.

I see the bar, but it's just not intuitive to me. Maybe I don't have
enough history, but I see now way that this bar is connected to
anything but the current task. That much I get, seeing the history of
my habits is not making sense.

<snip>

>> If that's the "graph," then I guess I just didn't understand how the
>> display in agenda worked and was mistaken in expecting future events
>> to show up as I scrolled through the year's view. I think that's fine.
>> Just wanted to make sure I wasn't messing something up.
>
> From what I read, I don't think org-habit is the tool you want.
> I found they work best for fairly regular tasks; I use them for cleaning
> tasks like "Do vacuum cleaning .+3d/5d".

Yeah; I don't know that I need the bar. I removed the "style: habit"
property and the functionality seems to be identical except that I get
no colored bar, and all the future events show up rather than only
when they are in the range. That's fine with me. I think I could get
the same with org-habit if I want to keep them out of the agenda
(thought I bet there's a way to fiddle with displayed recurring events
given what org-mode allows anyway).

>> The manual still gives the impression that the "graph" will show the
>> history of my habits, whereas this thing in agenda is only showing
>> whether I'm ahead, on schedule, or late for this *current* habit.
>
> If you are ahead, on schedule, late for this *current* habit now (!)
> and for the past e.g. three weeks (asterisk).

I think I just must not have history -- I have no asterisk, just
green, blue, yellow, red, and !.

Thanks again to both of you (just responded to this one as the info
was pretty much the same and this one was more recent)
John