Re: [O] Copy/Search Outline

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] Copy/Search Outline
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:35:19 +0200

On 7/22/11 10:20 PM, Florian Beck wrote:
Hi all,

when working with outlines (tabbing until CONTENTS), there are two
things I cannot figure out:

Firstly, I want to copy the *visible* text (minus the …, but never mind
that);

C-c C-e v [SPACE]
C-x h M-w
C-x k

In other words: Begin exporting only the visible part with `C-c C-e v', then press space at the prompt for output formats. This leaves you in a second buffer with a copy of the visible part (and yes, you do get rid of the ellipses). Then select all with `C-c h' (alternately, select the region of your choice) and copy. Kill the copy buffer when you're done with it.

You may want to record a keyboard macro if you need this often.

secondly, I want to be able to search only the visible text.

You can do that, albeit only in a copy of your document in a separate buffer, with the approach above. But why would you want to? Perhaps if you state a use case, someone can point out a different approach.

More generally (and less org specific), how do I restrict commands to
the visible parts of the buffer?

I don't know.

Yours,
Christian