Re: [O] LaTeX export of lists

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX export of lists
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 06:15:42 -1000

> Hello,
>
> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>>> That raises an interesting question: can a list belong to a paragraph in
>>> Org? According to paragraph-related regexps, it can't, for now. And your
>>> request is more a "LaTeXism" than an "Orgism" (!).
>
>> I probably don't understand your question fully, but it seems obvious to
>> me that a list can either belong to a paragraph or it can be separate.
>> I'm not certain why Org-mode would want to choose one over the other.
>
> It isn't obvious. For example, in HTML, a list within a paragraph
> doesn't even make sense[1].
>
> There's no harm in it, but you're basically faking Org and its LaTeX
> exporter, as lists and paragraphs are two distinct entities[2].
>
> Regards,
>

> Footnotes:
>
> [1] You can't have <ul> within <p>, according to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.3.1
>
> [2] If you try to `mark-paragraph' in your file, it won't mark both
> the text and the list in one go.

Aloha Nicolas,

Interesting observations.  Thanks.

The relation seems obvious to me because my model comes from printed
works, which commonly include enumerated lists typeset within
paragraphs.

Perhaps given the limitation of the HTML spec and the structure of
paragraphs in Org-mode it will always be necessary to have the LaTeX
exporter take care of setting lists inside paragraphs.

Thanks again for your help with this.

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813