Re: [O] Performance problem when switching agenda views - need for cache

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: Re: [O] Performance problem when switching agenda views - need for cache?
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 02:02:12 +0200

Am 16.07.2011 01:15, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> It will not be easy to cut down my org files to smaller sizes.
>>

> If you could try just eliminating the big file from org-agenda-files
> temporarily, try the commands to see if it does indeed make a
> difference, and then add it back on, that would help steer us in the
> right direction, I think. You can use C-c ] and C-c [ while visiting
> the file to delete it from the list and add it back on (although that
> might mess up the order).
>
> Nick

OK, removeing the big file from the agenda file list results in (only weekly
view):

org-agenda                                                    1
5.011847      5.011847
org-agenda-run-series                                         1
5.01176       5.01176
org-let2                                                      1
4.51891       4.51891
org-agenda-list                                               1
4.518894      4.518894
org-agenda-get-day-entries                                    56
4.3310179999  0.0773396071
org-agenda-get-scheduled                                      56
3.0745710000  0.0549030535
org-back-to-heading                                           8039
1.2780029999  0.0001589753
org-get-todo-state                                            4834
1.1381540000  0.0002354476
org-end-of-subtree                                            2745
0.9202930000  0.0003352615
org-let                                                       2
0.492812      0.246406
org-prepare-agenda                                            2
0.479444      0.239722
org-prepare-agenda-buffers                                    1
0.375417      0.375417
org-agenda-get-progress                                       56
0.3446030000  0.0061536250
org-time-string-to-absolute                                   4816
0.3424429999  7.110...e-05
org-agenda-get-deadlines                                      56
0.3267980000  0.0058356785
org-agenda-get-timestamps                                     56
0.2991630000  0.0053421964
org-agenda-skip                                               7493
0.2442860000  3.260...e-05
org-parse-time-string                                         5124
0.2435590000  4.753...e-05
org-get-tags-at                                               65
0.168317      0.0025894923
org-agenda-get-blocks                                         56
0.162876      0.0029085
org-up-heading-safe                                           294
0.1611779999  0.0005482244
org-refresh-category-properties                               8
0.139898      0.01748725
org-agenda-get-sexps                                          56
0.1148169999  0.0020503035
org-finalize-agenda-entries                                   6
0.1132310000  0.0188718333
org-agenda-highlight-todo                                     70
0.105273      0.0015039
org-at-date-range-p                                           269
0.0397219999  0.0001476654
org-get-entries-from-diary                                    7
0.0371        0.0053
org-format-agenda-item                                        70
0.02979       0.0004255714
org-outline-level                                             3268
0.0271430000  8.305...e-06
org-on-heading-p                                              270
0.0263160000  9.746...e-05
org-agenda-skip-eval                                          10114
0.0216819999  2.143...e-06

so yes - the main part of the time is taken by the big org file. Still 5
seconds is not a keypress ...
And of course I will need a certain part of the excluded file. So going into
any kind of caching might speed
up things quite a bit.

Rainer