Re: [O] babel work flow

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] babel work flow
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 05:53:37 -1000

"Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>> I want to use one of the dot utilities, tred, in a way that preserves my
>> ability to distribute the Org-mode file as reproducible research, i.e.,
>> intermediate results should end up in the Org-mode file or be passed
>> along in a chain.
>>
>> Right now I have a python routine that reads a couple of Org-mode tables
>> and outputs a valid dot graph.  I'm saving this to a file, dot-temp.gv,
>> and then running some shell commands, like this:
>>
>> #+begin_src sh
>>   tred dot-temp.gv > test.gv
>>   dot -o test.pdf -Tpdf test.gv
>>   open test.pdf
>> #+end_src
>>
>> The graph is just what I want, but I can't see how to automate the
>> process in Org-mode.  In particular, the tred step trips me up.  Do I
>> have to make babel, tred-aware?
>
> Sorry if I misunderstand, but could you be more explicit (for me) on what the
> problem is?  Why is it a problem for you to have that sh block inside your
> Org. It is executed automagically upon exporting, no?  If yes, why is that not
> good enough?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

Aloha Seb,

Yes, babel is working fine and the sh block does its job.

The problem is that I like to see intermediate results in the Org-mode
file and the sh block works instead with files that reside outside Org-mode.

In this particular case, I'd prefer to have dot-temp.gv in a results
block in the Org-mode file, and then pass this results block into a
source code block where tred can manipulate it, and which returns its
results to the Org-mode file.

That way, the skeptical inquirer need only consult the Org-mode file to
be convinced that tred removed the transitive relations from the
digraph.  It would be an easy matter to compare the two results blocks.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye