Re: [O] patch org-mode Makefile - solve a couple debian build problems a

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] patch org-mode Makefile - solve a couple debian build problems and a slackware build problem
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 18:40:44 +0200

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
> But from what I saw in the Ubuntu man-page, debian install-info is a wrapper
> around GNU install-info that does *nothing different* in the ``normal'' case.
> It only behaves differently when one is doing Debian maintenance thingies,
> whatever
> that means - from the man page:

This is confusing, all right — here's what the system really looks like:
/usr/bin/install-info is a wrapper script that calls
/usr/bin/ginstall-info; /usr/sbin/install-info is an entirely different
program, not a wrapper.

> What happens when you run the org make on that system with no changes at all?
> Does
> anything break?

No can do, sorry.  The only Debian system I have access to is a server
that only has a minimal system installed.  However, as explained
previously, the reason for org-mode make breaking is that while running
as root make will find /usr/sbin/install-info first.  There really is no
good reason for root to be installing user-mode programs with any "sbin"
in path, but it's hard to unwind these decisions that have become part
of the "culture" of certain distributions.

Regards,
Achim.