Re: [O] patch org-mode Makefile - solve a couple debian build problems a

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] patch org-mode Makefile - solve a couple debian build problems and a slackware build problem
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 12:00:45 -0400

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
> > I'm actually hoping that nothing of the sort will be needed, but given
> > that I don't have either debian squeeze or slackware available, I can't
> > really see what goes wrong.
>
> Well, I've had a look on some server I have admin access to: what goes
> wrong on Debian (Lenny+Backports) is this:
>
> # install-info --version
> Debian install-info Version 1.14.31.
> # ginstall-info --version
> install-info (GNU texinfo) 4.13
>
> The Makefile obviously expects a GNU install-info (which should probably
> be documented someplace).  Now, install-info lives in /usr/sbin/ and
> ginstall-info in /usr/bin, also linked to /usr/bin/install-info.  But if
> you're installing as root (something I don't really fancy, but it's
> probably too late for Linux to rectify that), /usr/sbin/ is earlier in
> your path than /usr/bin.
>
> So, in this particular case it should be sufficient to just drop /sbin
> and /usr/sbin from the PATH during make.

But from what I saw in the Ubuntu man-page, debian install-info is a wrapper
around GNU install-info that does *nothing different* in the ``normal'' case.
It only behaves differently when one is doing Debian maintenance thingies,
whatever
that means - from the man page:

,----
|        install-info  is  a  wrapper  around GNU install-info. If it is called
from a normal shell or
|        script it acts like GNU install-info by forwarding all options to
ginstall-info.

|        If it is called from a maintainer script it gives a warning  to
rebuild  packages  and  does
|        nothing, since info file installation is now done via triggers.
`----

What happens when you run the org make on that system with no changes at all?
Does
anything break?

Nick