Re: [O] patch org-mode Makefile - solve a couple debian build problems a

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] patch org-mode Makefile - solve a couple debian build problems and a slackware build problem
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 08:26:11 +0200

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm actually hoping that nothing of the sort will be needed, but given
> that I don't have either debian squeeze or slackware available, I can't
> really see what goes wrong.

Well, I've had a look on some server I have admin access to: what goes
wrong on Debian (Lenny+Backports) is this:

# install-info --version
Debian install-info Version 1.14.31.
# ginstall-info --version
install-info (GNU texinfo) 4.13

The Makefile obviously expects a GNU install-info (which should probably
be documented someplace).  Now, install-info lives in /usr/sbin/ and
ginstall-info in /usr/bin, also linked to /usr/bin/install-info.  But if
you're installing as root (something I don't really fancy, but it's
probably too late for Linux to rectify that), /usr/sbin/ is earlier in
your path than /usr/bin.

So, in this particular case it should be sufficient to just drop /sbin
and /usr/sbin from the PATH during make.

> As for /etc/issue, you are probably right: I never touch it but that
> means nothing. OTOH, it does illustrate how to make Makefiles do stupid
> pet tricks.

A Makefile is not the place to pull stunts, IMHO.  Whenever you feel
that should become necessary, maybe it's time to go autoconf or some
similar mechanism.  I don't think that's the right thing to do for
org-mode, since it again adds some dependency on other software.

Regards,
Achim.