Re: [O] Calendar-like view of the org-agenda

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [O] Calendar-like view of the org-agenda
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 09:24:33 +0200

SAKURAI Masashi <address@hidden> writes:

Hi!

>> For me, creating a custom org agenda with the next 21 days takes not
>> much less than building an calfw calendar buffer with 42 days.  It's
>> about one second for the former and 2 seconds for the latter, so it
>> seems calfw does the right thing.
>
> Thank you for your confirming.
>
> I implemented calfw-org with consultation of the code of
> org-agenda-list. I think it is difficult to make the speed faster with
> a simple way, the re-design of the whole org-agenda-list algorithm
> seems to be needed, because the key function
> org-agenda-get-day-entries requires only one date and the subsequent
> dependent functions also are designed by the API.

I think it's pretty fast, so I'd vote for keeping the good and simple
design of the org schedule import in contrast to reimplement the wheel
for a slight speedup.

>> One thing which I'm currently missing is that the calfw entries
>> gathered from org are missing the times (if that's specified using
>> the 'time text property) and are sorted in an order I can't
>> understand.  For example, :
>
> Yes. The current implementation, calfw sorts the items by alphabet,
> i.e. string-less, in one date cell. This is intent to sort the items
> which has time header like "10:00 meeting" "13:00 go to airport"
> "16:00 meeting".

Yeah, that would work.  However, org times are usually ranges like
10:00-12:00 which is 11 characters wide.  You don't want to prefix the
displayed items with that, because then you wouldn't see anything from
the item's description text.  So I'd prepend the times so that I can see
them when hoovering with the mouse on that item.  Of course, then
`string-less' won't sort according to date.

> It is not so difficult to add a customize of the sort criteria.  And
> you can try your custom summary format, modifying
> cfw:org-summary-format.  In the function, you can get the time value
> from the text property.

Right.  Maybe a good idea was allowing a custom sort function that sorts
the `contents' for one day in `cfw:org-schedule-period-to-calendar'.
There, you still have the 'time text property that you can use for
sorting.

Bye,
Tassilo