Re: [O] Calendar-like view of the org-agenda

From: SAKURAI Masashi
Subject: Re: [O] Calendar-like view of the org-agenda
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 13:47:57 +0900

At Wed, 6 Jul 2011 11:39:47 +0200,
Manuel Hermenegildo wrote:

> First, thanks very much to Sakurai for a wonderful tool and having
> integrated it so well with org!

Thank you for your comment. I'm very encouraged!

>  > For me, creating a custom org agenda with the next 21 days takes
>  > not much less than building an calfw calendar buffer with 42 days.
> :
> Seems like calfw is ignoring the org priorities and order.  In my case
> the problem is that calfw is gathering all the tasks ignoring my per
> tag filters. I explain: in my case I only want to see in my agenda
> entries that have a certain tag (my tag): I share org files with other
> people and we assign tasks by marking E.g., I am MH and my tasks are
> like:
>
> * TODO Thank Sakurai for a great tool <2011-07-05 Tue>  :MH:
>
> which should appear in my agenda and there are other tasks like:
>
> * TODO Write paper  <2011-07-05 Tue> :JF:
>
> which should only appear in JF's agenda. This is done using a custom
> agenda command that filters by tag.
>
> It seems to me too complicated to try to reproduce all the nuances and
> capabilities of org agenda generation (priorities, filtering, custom
> views, etc.) and do it all again in calfw --it would always be very
> hard to keep them in sync.

I read the code of org-agenda-list and subsequent callee functions.
Indeed it was very hard way and I didn't understand all codes because
I was not a orgmode user.

Then, I use the function org-agenda-get-day-entries to get schedule
items of the org-agenda-files. The function can receive some arguments
to limit the tasks, but I didn't understand exactly.  Do you use this
function? If so, it may be easy to implement a simple filter.

> I have not had time to look at the code, but perhaps calfw, instead of
> reading directly the org files could instead use the org code that
> generates the agenda and then present the agenda in its very nice and
> graphical way. I.e., an idea would be to add a back end to the code
> that generates the org agenda which, instead of rendering the agenda
> creates the calfw objects.
>
> Or, perhaps even simpler, calfw could simply read the org-agenda
> buffer (colors and all) instead of reading the org files.
>
> This would have the enormous advantage that it would always generate
> the tasks with the same order, priorities, filters, customizations,
> etc. as the org agenda.

The face property and other text properties which are put by
org-agenda-get-day-entries, are remained in calfw buffer.

Customization of summary texts of org items is the variable
cfw:org-schedule-summary-transformer or the function
cfw:org-summary-format. Because I have used orgmode not so heavily,
the current integration is very simple.

I think calfw can display the items in any way how you want.
I would implement simple ideas as soon as possible.

Thank you.

--
SAKURAI, Masashi (family, given)
address@hidden