Re: [O] [babel] python sessions

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Re: [O] [babel] python sessions
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 18:51:04 +0200

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> This is true, in addition to being a language which is dependent upon
> whitespace characters, python has been tricky due to the many
> independent inferior python modes (python.el, python-mode.el, etc...)
> and to the fact that I personally and not very familiar with the
> language.

That is indeed a problem (also in cedet for example) and I really would
like to have just one and working well python mode, not a thousand..

> I've just pushed up a patch which should improve upon the python session
> behavior.  After this patch your example returns the following
> results...
>
> #+begin_src python :session :results silent
>   def var(x):
>       return float(x ** 2)
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src python :session :result value
>   def var2(x):
>       return x ** 2 * var(x)
>
>   var2(10)
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> : 10000.0

That example now works like a charm
But here still I get that string, but if I tangle the file I get the
correct result, any idea?

#+begin_src python :session :tangle myset.py :results silent
  class MySetList(object):

      def __init__(self):
          self._set = []

      def add(self, el):
          if el not in self._set:
              self._set.append(el)

      # implementation of other typical set functions
#+end_src

#+begin_src python :session :tangle myset.py :results silent
  class MySetDict(object):

      def __init__(self):
          self._dic = {}

      def add(self, el):
          if el not in self._dic:
              # we only care about the keys
              self._dic[el] = None
#+end_src

#+begin_src python :session :tangle myset.py :results silent
  class MySetSet(object):
      def __init__(self):
          self._set = set()

      def add(self, el):
          self._set.add(el)
#+end_src

#+begin_src python :session :exports both :tangle myset.py
  import timeit
  import random

  NUM_ELS = 100

  def add_many_to_set(set_type):
      m = set_type()
      for i in range(NUM_ELS):
          m.add(i)

  def test_impl(set_type):
      to_import = """
  from __main__ import add_many_to_set
  from __main__ import %s"""

      name = set_type.__name__
      print("testing %s" % name)
      return timeit.timeit("add_many_to_set(%s)" % name,
                           setup=(to_import % name))

  test_impl(MySetList), test_impl(MySetDict), test_impl(MySetSet)

#+end_src