Re: [O] [babel] using #+call for inline results

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [babel] using #+call for inline results
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:45:11 -0700

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> I've just pushed up an implementation for inline call blocks, the new
>> syntax is described in the documentation but a simple example is below.
>>
>>     #+source: square
>>     #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var it=0
>>       (* it it)
>>     #+end_src
>>
>>     Here is a call_square(it=4) stuck in the middle of some prose.
>>
>> Please let me know how it works and if you have any problems or
>> recommendations.
>>
>> Cheers -- Eric
>
> Eric,
>
> this was working on Friday but seems to have stopped working for me now
> completely.  For instance, your snippet above exports as
>
> \lstset{language=Lisp}
> \begin{lstlisting}
> (* it it)
> \end{lstlisting}
>

>   Here is a call$_{\mathrm{square}}$(it=4) stuck in the middle of some prose.
>
> I do not believe I have changed anything in my settings...
>
> I do note from the git log that you have made quite a few changes.  Has
> some setting crept in that I need to configure?

Hmm, have you updated Org-mode in the last hour/minutes, there have
indeed been a number of changes recently.  I believe that the above
should be working now, without requiring any special configuration.

> Also, I note from the comments that you expect the inline call to be
> whitespace delimited.  I haven't tested this but, just in case, could I
> request that the delimiting be either whitespace or punctuation?

As this behaves currently there need only be whitespace _before_ the
inline call line, not after, so most normal punctuation usage should
work.  For example the following exports as expected on my system.

#+source: square
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var it=0
  (* it it)
#+end_src

Here is a call_square(it=4), stuck in the middle of some prose.

> There are cases where I would like the inline evaluation to be at the
> end of a sentence, for instance, or even something like:
>
>   25^2=call_square(it=25)

hmm, good example, so what set of characters should be allowed to prefix
and postfix such a block?  For example, = before should export however =
both before and after would be a literal example.

Cheers -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/