Re: [O] [Bug] Doc string for org-clock-into-drawer truncated?

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] Doc string for org-clock-into-drawer truncated?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:27:19 +0200

Ian Barton <address@hidden> writes:
>>> The default for this variable is the value of `org-log-into-drawer',
>>> which see."
>>> …
>>>
>>> I can't make much sense of the last sentence which looks truncated.
>>
>> It means, please look at the variable org-log-into-drawer for
>> more information.  I have seen this idiom in Emacs
>> in a number of places, so I assumed it is OK.
>>

> I agree with Achim, that idiom makes no sense to a native English
> speaker. To make sense it should say something like ".... for which
> see the doc string for `org-log-into-drawer', or even better the way
> Achim's patch is worded.

I've looked through some Emacs documentation and it is indeed the case
that ", which see." or "(which see)" is used in many places to make
reference to the documentation of a variable or function that has been
mentioned by name.  I'll just leave it at that and suggest it might be
discussed on an appropriate Emacs list if necessary.

Regards,
Achim.