Re: [O] Batch mode evaluation of source code?

From: Herbert Sitz
Subject: Re: [O] Batch mode evaluation of source code?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:45:19 +0000 (UTC)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The following org-mode file and minimal elisp file can be used
> to print
> the results of evaluating a code block from a batch Emacs
> session
> (note
> this is using Emacs24, so Org-mode/Babel do not need to be
> explicitly
> loaded).
>
> I used the following command line
> : emacs --batch -l run-code.el 2> /dev/null

Eric -- Thanks, very cool.  I'm toying around with this approach to do dynamic
code-block evaluation in the Org-mode clone I'm making in Vim. No problem with
on-export-evaluation, since the vim-org-clone just saves the file and issues a
batch mode org-export or org-publish command to emacs, which takes over from
there.

I think this dynamic evaluation could be useful, but it also seems like a new
server is getting called for each emacs --batch mode call.  That's cumbersome
for this dynamic-evaluation stuff because of start-up overhead for emacs on
each call.  Is that the way its supposed to work?

I'm working on Windows7 and have an Emacs client running when I issue the
batch command, which I assumed also means there is a running emacs server.
Is the
call getting made to the running emacs server?  If so, is there some way to
avoid the startup overhead (which seems to come from 'Adding c:/program files
(x86)/emacs/EmacsW32/lisp/ to load path.').  Or, if my batch call is _not_
making use of the running Emacs server is there some way to get it to use that
server?

Thanks again,

Herb