Re: [O] Status google calendar sync

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: Re: [O] Status google calendar sync
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:13:47 +0100

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stephen Eglen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Thank you very much Arun, this page looks great:
> >
> >> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-google-sync.html>
> >
> > When going from org -> google, do I need to do anything about using
> > org-icalendar-store-UID?  I'd rather not have to populate my org files
> > with :ID: entries.
> >
> > Stephen
>
> The UID entries are necessary if you intend to upload a file that
> contains entries that you previously uploaded.  Without these, any
> pre-existing entry will be duplicated in google's calendar.

Thanks Eric.

Reading around a bit, there seems to be a bit of disquiet about how
google calendar reads .ics files, e.g.:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Calendar/thread?tid=3fad85f47a70864b&hl=en

In particular, it seems odd that there is so much uncertainty about the
interval with which google calendar re-reads the .ics file and updates
the calendar.  I don't mind hitting a *refresh* button within a calendar
to manually force a resync, but there doesn't seem to be such a button!

I think what I'm looking for is a *read-only* solution so that google
calendar just renders the current orgmode.ics file read from the web,
rather than recalling what events were previously read in.    (I don't
need to write to this calendar, as my org files are the master.)  In
this way, I would hope the ID entries would not be required.

I'm still in the first days of using my new android phone, so I may be
missing something, but there seemed no other decent calendar tool on the
android market that would just read and render an .ics file from the
web.    I did however find this:

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.nightlabs.android.icssync

which sounds useful. Has anyone else seen/tried this?

Stephen