Re: [O] Passing font size to exported LaTeX table

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Passing font size to exported LaTeX table
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:56:59 -0700

Hi Nick and Tom,

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 00:27:31 -0400
Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Nick's got a good editorial eye: "compatible options" is probably
> > not correct.  In the example on Worg hacks, \footnotesize is not an
> > optional argument to the \table environment, it is a LaTeX command
> > whose scope is determined by the \table environment within which it
> > is issued.  So, instead of "One can also pass other compatible
> > options" it would be good to say "One can also pass LaTeX commands
> > into the \table environment" or something along those lines.
> >
> > The entry in Worg hacks looks good to me.  Thanks for taking care of
> > this, Suvayu.
> >
> > Many thanks to Nick and Suvayu for figuring out how to get inside
> > the table environment from Org-mode.  I can't remember how many
> > times I tried and failed to figure this out on my own ...
> >

> Now that the Worg entry exists, I'd like to expand it a bit to add
> essentially what Tom mentions in his first paragraph and also to add a
> pointer to the "other" solution of this problem.

I have modified the Worg entry like this

*** Specifying LaTeX commands to floating environments

The keyword ~placement~ can be used to specify placement options to
floating environments (like =\begin{figure}= and =\begin{table}=}) in
LaTeX export. Org passes along everything passed in options as long as
there are no spaces. One can take advantage of this to pass other
LaTeX commands limited within the scope of the floating environment.

For example one can set the fontsize of a table different from the
rest of the document by putting something like =\footnotesize= right
after the placement options. During LaTeX export using the
~#+ATTR_LaTeX:~ line below:

#+begin_src org
  ,#+ATTR_LaTeX: placement=[<options>]\footnotesize
#+end_src

exports the associated floating environment as shown in the following
block.

#+begin_src latex
\begin{table}[<options>]\footnotesize
\end{table}
#+end_src

If both of you agree and there is no important detail or subtlety
missing, I will commit this to Worg.

> Suvauy, is that OK with you? Or would you rather I created a
> separate hack?

Worg is a community resource. I would definitely be okay with and
encourage others improving upon whatever I contribute. :)

--
Suvayu