Re: [O] Audio/video file playback in org mode

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] Audio/video file playback in org mode
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 08:23:57 +0200

Hi Paul

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 06:48, Paul Sexton <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks Michael, I'm glad you think it will be helpful. I have implemented
> something like what you have requested here. I have hived this code off into
> a separate file called org-player.el.
>
> You can get it at:
>
> http://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-player/

Thank you very much for sharing. It worked out of the box to play an
Org link with time spec and I like it.

> I intend to add it to worg in the next little while.

That would be great. I first misread it to be added to Org core, but
maybe later after some more user feedback.

> Links can now contain times to start playback, as follows:
>
> [[file:/path/to/song.mp3::2:43]]      Starts playback at 2 min 43 sec.
> [[file:/path/to/song.mp3::1:10:45]]   Starts playback at 1 hr 10 min 45 sec.
> [[file:/path/to/song.mp3::3m15s]]     Starts playback at 3 min 15 sec.
> [[file:/path/to/song.mp3::49s]]       Starts playback at 0 min 49 sec.
> [[file:/path/to/song.mp3::1h21m10s]]  Starts playback at 1 hr 21 min 10 sec.
>
> As you see I have made XX:YY mean minutes and seconds, as it seems more
> logical to me for this particular purpose. If there is a compelling reason
> to interpret XX:YY as hours and minutes in these links then I am not totally
> opposed to changing it, but I think many people would find it confusing and
> counterintuitive.

Ok, in the context of a media file your arguments convinced me.

> In all cases playback continues until the end of the file. I couldn't find a
> way to implement playback of 'snippets' with a specified start and end time,
> unfortunately.

I'm sure this is only a question of time, I'll try to solve this too.

Michael