Re: [O] Google weather

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Google weather
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 09:40:37 -0400

Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to use the google weather in Org-mode for the first time, =
> but I am always getting a 443 error when I evaluate something like
>
> (org-google-weather "Amsterdam")
>
> I am not sure where to look for what might causing this - any pointers =
> would be
> appreciated....

As Ian points out, the https: version of the URL might be causing you
problems. I have this problem from work, where I'm behind the firewall
and the proxy does not seem to be able or willing to forward the
request - it works fine from home. But I would caution everybody that
Google seems to be changing the data they return on a daily basis
nowadays and google-weather cannot keep up. It might be a good idea to
wait a few days for the volatility to die down. See the related thread
"Icon problem with org-google-weather" for a blow-by-blow description
of the fight.

BTW, you can ask google-weather to use the http: protocol by

    (setq google-weather-use-https nil)

Nick

PS Here's a debugging function I wrote to bypass google-weather
altogether and check what Google was sending me. This in combination
with visiting the URLs in a browser, as Ian points out, should be
enough to get you through http/https/SSL/proxy problems:

(defun my-url-retrieve (url)
  (with-current-buffer (url-retrieve-synchronously url)
    (buffer-substring (point-min) (point-max))))

Try

        (my-url-retrieve "http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather=Amsterdam";)

and/or the https version of it.