Re: [O] A simpler way to write literal examples?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] A simpler way to write literal examples?
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 09:29:18 +0200

On 25.5.2011, at 11:43, Steven Haryanto wrote:

> I plan to document some parts of Perl source code (more specifically,
> description in subroutine Sub::Spec specification,
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Sub-Spec) using Org format instead of the
> canonical POD, hoping to have better table support, more customizable links,
> and overall markups that are nicer to look at (IMO).
>
> However, one of the nice things of POD (and Wiki, Markdown, etc) for
> documenting source code is the relative simplicity of writing literal
> examples: an indented paragraph. In Org we either have to use the colon+space
> prefix syntax:
>
>  : this is an example
>  : another line
>  : another line
>
> or the example block:
>
>  #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>  this is an example
>  another line
>  another line
>  #+END_EXAMPLE
>
> Is there an alternative syntax? If there isn't, would people consider an
> alternative syntax (e.g. say a setting which toggles parsing an indented
> paragraph as a literal example)?

No, since indentation has other uses in org (for example for list structure).
I find it often helps to write #+begin_example instead of #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE.
I guess one could set up font-lock to hide the #+begin and #+end lines, but
how would you then change them.
The bug advantage in Org is that you can say
#+begin_src perl
to get correct indentation and syntax highlighting to the language of the
snippet.....

- Carsten