Re: [O] [Orgmode] Re: [Feature Request] Cross headings in tables

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] [Orgmode] Re: [Feature Request] Cross headings in tables
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:21:33 +0200

Hi Achim,

On 30.5.2011, at 23:02, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>> this looks pretty good.  One thing I found missing is that
>> header lines should be exempted from column formulas being
>> applied.  This works for the headlines at the top of the
>> table, but not in the middle.
>
> thank you for having a look.  You are right, but this looks like
> something that goes a bit deeper than my current understanding, I'm
> afraid.
>
> Header lines don't appear to be marked in any way, but simply skipped
> over before starting the formula calculation.  Consequently, the column
> formula is evaluated for any header line when doing a C-c * directly in
> the header, which might be considered a bug.  I won't touched this
> aspect of the code since it will probably have farther reaching
> consequences if changed.  I quickly hacked in some extra stuff that
> looks for cross headers and skips them while the full table is updated —
> but I'm not sure this is the right thing to do and the way the program
> logic works requires me to check certain pathological cases twice, which
> is a bit ugly.  I've just rebased against current master and pushed
> everything back to the repo.

I think a better strategy would be to find these additional
header lines right before this section of the recalculate function:

    ;; Now evaluate the column formulas, but skip fields covered by
    ;; field formulas

and mark those extra header lines with the org-untouchable text property.
Then you can let the column formulas do their game, and fields marked
by this property will automatically exempted......

>> Also documentation in the manual is missing - one
>> or two sentences in the right place should be enough.
>
> Sure, but I'd like to get it working correctly first. :-)

Fair enough.

> I'm using this code at work and things have gone smoothly, but I only
> use the HTML backend and certainly don't exercise the full breadth of
> the table functionality (obviously no column formulas were used by me,
> for instance).

Another part which might need a look to support this
would be `orgtbl-to-generic'.

> While testing I stumbled upon this: if a buffer has no undo information
> associated, org-self-insert-command produces an error while trying to
> edit the formula.  This code path may need to be protected against this
> (admittedly rare) case, I've been triggering it while testing your
> example directly in the gnus article buffer.

This issue is fixed, thanks for the report.

Finally:  this patch goes clearly beyond the TINYCHANGE
limits.  What is yours, and Lawrence's copyright status with the FSF?

- Carsten