Re: [O] org babel support for tcl and awk

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] org babel support for tcl and awk
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 13:18:43 +0200

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte wrote:
>> As you can see, I did not really mean any concurrent execution. Simply
>> being able to execute parts of code in-situ, in the Org buffer, to document
>> (and test) what I'm writing.
>>
>> And to be able to assemble all the parts in one single script file, by the
>> means of literate programming.
>
> I see, you want to be able to construct a large pipe chain STDOUT>STDIN,

That's it!

> but you don't care if the parts of the chain (e.g., the code block) execute
> in serial or concurrently (as they do in the shell).

For me, there is no concept of serial or concurrent execution here, as I am
executing manually the calls, when writing the Org document.

Not sure to understand you...

Are you talking of what happens for the export, maybe?

Are you talking of the shell constructs which will be used in the way the
"full script" is assembled?

> The attached patch (can be applied with "git am") implements this
> behavior as I understand it.  The result is a new :stdin header argument
> with which org-mode references can be passed to shell scripts as
> standard input.  Given the technique used in this patch, I'll probably
> re-write part of ob-awk.el.

Your patch is simply wonderful. It completely meets my need!  Thanks a lot.

Look with the updated (and, now working) example of yesterday.

* Abstract

This script "americanizes" a European CSV file.

* Sample data

The following is a sample CSV file:

#+results: sample-csv
#+begin_example
Date;Amount;Account
28-05-2010;-6.806,25;999-1974050-30
04-06-2009;420,00;999-1500974-23
24-02-2009;-54,93;999-1974050-30
#+end_example

This input data will be used to show what the results of the transformations
are.

* Script

What the script must do is:

** Convert the date in American format

Convert the date in =MM/DD/YYYY= format.

#+srcname: convert-date
#+begin_src sh :stdin sample-csv :results output :exports both
sed -r 's/^([[:digit:]]{2})-([[:digit:]]{2})-([[:digit:]]{4})/\2\/\1\/\3/g'
#+end_src

#+results: convert-date
#+begin_example
Date;Amount;Account
05/28/2010;-6.806,25;999-1974050-30
06/04/2009;420,00;999-1500974-23
02/24/2009;-54,93;999-1974050-30
#+end_example

** Convert the separators

Apply the following operations in order to "americanize" the CSV file received
from the bank:

- remove the dot used as thousands separator (=.= -> ==)
- replace the comma used as decimal separator by a dot (=,= -> =.=)
- replace other commas by a dot (=,= -> =.=)
- replace the semi-comma used as field separator by a comma (=;= -> =,=)

#+srcname: convert-separators
#+begin_src sh :stdin convert-date :results output :exports both
sed -r 's/([[:digit:]])\.([[:digit:]]{3})/\1\2/g' |\
sed -r 's/([[:digit:]]),([[:digit:]]{2})/\1.\2/g' |\
sed -r 's/,/./g' |\
sed -r 's/;/,/g'
#+end_src

#+results: convert-separators
#+begin_example
Date,Amount,Account
05/28/2010,-6806.25,999-1974050-30
06/04/2009,420.00,999-1500974-23
02/24/2009,-54.93,999-1974050-30
#+end_example

* Full code

The script is then:

#+begin_src sh :tangle americanize-csv.sh :noweb yes
#!/bin/bash
# americanize-csv.sh -- Convert CSV file to American format

# Usage: americanize-csv FILE.CSV

cat $1 |\
<<convert-date>> |\
<<convert-separators>>

exit 0

# americanize-csv.sh ends here
#+end_src

* Conclusions

The new =stdin= option allows one to:

- execute parts of code in-situ, in the Org buffer, documenting (and testing)
  them.

- assemble all the parts in one single script file, by the means of literate
  programming.

Go for applying it!

Thanks a lot, Eric, for your time.

Best regards,