Re: [O] Completing with anything

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [O] Completing with anything
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 00:14:52 -0300

> > So at least cycling-completion seems fundamentally incompatible with
> > this idea of abbrev-expansion-after-completion, at least if you want to
> > allow arbitrarily complex abbrevs like skeletons.
> Indeed, this is a real problem.

I've now added a :exit-function property that
completion-at-point-functions can return which is a function that gets
called when completion is finished.  It operates outside of the
completion-table, so has access to the buffer text and can do things
like abbrev-expand.

It gets a status argument which tells it whether the completion is
`exact' (basically, it's valid according to the completion-table, but
there may be further completions available), `sole' (it's the only
completion), and `finished' (not only it's the sole completion, but the
user is not expected to want to change it).  `sole' is used by cycling,
so the :exit-function can call abbrev-expand when the status is
`finished' and it won't interfere with cycling (which simply won't
benefit from abbrev-expansion).

        Stefan