Re: [O] Org babel does not work properly with included files

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: Re: [O] Org babel does not work properly with included files
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 17:10:51 -0500

On 5/5/11 May 5 -4:27 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:

>>> I'm not sure that the current behavior is a bug.  Is it reasonable to
>>> place code block parameters into an included file?  These parameters
>>> would not be successfully found during interactive evaluation, and could
>>> only plausibly be used during export as you anticipated.
>>
>> Aren't the code block parameters supposed to appear /with/ the code
>> block?  So here's the use case:
>>
>> I have a file chapter.org.  This contains a full draft of a chapter of
>> my manual.  I finish it and circulate it for comments, then get it ready
>> for inclusion.
>>
>> Now I have manual.org and I want to include the main body of chapter.org
>> (typically there's some front matter I leave off).
>>
>> When I put the #include in manual.org, the source code snippets in
>> chapter.org, which used to work, no longer do.
>>
>> This doesn't seem like /such/ a crazy use case that it shouldn't work,
>> does it?
>>

> Oh, my apologies, apparently in scanning this email thread I
> mis-understood your use case.
>
> I've just tried to re-create the situation you've described above
> (including a file which contains code blocks).  I was unable to
> reproduce your problem locally (the results of exporting both to html
> and tex are included).  Could you modify the attached example
> sufficiently to demonstrate the problem you're experiencing?

I will work on it --- I have a somewhat complicated perl script that is
pulling stuff out for me and exporting results as source.  Getting it to
work in a small example is tricky!

>> [btw, I am not entirely sure I know what "header parameters" are ---
>
> see http://orgmode.org/manual/Header-arguments.html

That's what I thought --- I was just confused because the comment in the
code flips from using the term "argument" to "parameter," and I
considered the possibility that there were two different mechanisms.

Thanks,