[O] orgtbl multicolumn support

From: Michael Bach
Subject: [O] orgtbl multicolumn support
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 23:32:56 +0300

Dear org-mode Users and Developers,

I just wanted to know whether there are plans to support multicolumns in
default orgtbl-to-latex.  Something along these lines:

#+ORGTBL: SEND multicol orgtbl-to-latex :splice t :skip 0 :hline "\\midrule"
|   | a | b           | c |
|---+---+-------------+---|
| 1 |   | mc(2)(c)(3) |   |
|   | 2 | mc(2)(c)(4) |   |

Would produce

% % BEGIN RECEIVE ORGTBL multicol
  & a & b & c\NN
\midrule
1 &   & \multicolumn{2}{c}{3} & \NN
  & 2 & \multicolumn{2}{c}{4} & \LL
% END RECEIVE ORGTBL multicol

The reason being that I would like to use \multicolumn often in the
middle of an orgtbl.  My workarounds with manually inserting the LaTeX
macro are clumsy.

I understood that users should write their own conversion functions.  If
I was going to try my fresh elisp fu, I wanted to ask here whether there
exists a generic orgtbl syntax to implement the above intercell
modification.  I read the doc for version 7.5 but maybe there are also
new methods in the dev version which I freshly use.

Kind Regards,
Michael Bach