Re: [O] Request for suggestions including source code

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Request for suggestions including source code
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 19:10:16 -0400

Robert Goldman <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 5/4/11 May 4 -4:44 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
> > So there you have it: a frivolous exercise, almost completely OT for the
> > list and an almost useless answer[fn:1].
>
> This actually was pretty helpful.  The problem is, of course, that I
> can't rewrite all of my source code to be in 65-width lines, nor can I
> convince my colleagues to do so.

Precisely: that's why it was useless :-) I took a quick look at
Stevens's "Advanced Programming in the UNIX environment" (which I think
of as well-typeset) and I find that most of the time, he adheres to the
65-char limit - there are some comments that go up to 72 or so and stick
out a bit into the right margin. But I'm pretty sure he planned it to
the 65-char limit.

> So what I need now is some way to fix the verbatim environments that are
> produced by org-mode to use a smaller font.  I.e., instead of trying to
> fix the source code to match char-width, fix the char-width to match the
> source code.  Any idea how to do that?

Here is one possibility: create a verbfont.sty file like this:

\makeatletter
address@hidden
\makeatother

and add this to your org file:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{verbfont}

Instead of \scriptsize, you can use any of the ones defined in
size1X.clo (for some X). If you use \tiny, you should package a
magnifier with the book...

Nick