Re: [O] Dumbquotes in exported source listings

From: Ben Finney
Subject: Re: [O] Dumbquotes in exported source listings
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 07:40:08 +1000

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

> Nick Dokos wrote:
> > Ben Finney <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Nowadays with Unicode available ubiquitously we can simply use the
> >> correct typographical quotation marks directly in the plain text
> >> file, but TeX and some other legacy systems don't work very well
> >> with Unicode.
>
> I really hate those "smart quotes", better named "dumb quotes",

Again, that's just confusing the terminology, since both “smart quotes”
and “dumb quotes” already have connotations. If you want a neutral term
for the typographically-correct quotation marks, try “directional
quotes”.

Here is a discussion of the history of the “`” and “'” usage and why
it's a problem <URL:http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/quotes.html>.

--
 \     “Please do not feed the animals. If you have any suitable food, |
  `\                     give it to the guard on duty.” —zoo, Budapest |