Re: [O] Begginer using orgmode

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Begginer using orgmode
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:50:56 -0500

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Arnold, Travis <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 25 Apr, 2011, at 11:34 PM, John Hendy wrote:
>

>> In the meantime:
>> - install [aqua/Carbon] emacs
>> - install git for os x (I used this:
>> http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/)
>> - make a .elisp folder for elisp files
>> --- open a terminal and type: cd /Users/username
>> --- mkdir .elisp
>> --- cd .elisp
>> --- git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git org.git
>> --- cd org.git
>> --- make [1]
>>
>> - I created a default .emacs file
>> --- download it:
>> https://sites.google.com/site/jwhendytank/home/osx-emacs-config
>> --- save it as: /Users/username/.emacs
>> --- note that the config relies on the org stuff being in
>> /Users/username/.elisp/org.git
>>
>> - start emacs and cross your fingers
>>
>  I will try out the steps you listed, the rest of the message however- about
> compiling and all, would that in any subsequent walkthroughs?

Well, compiling is simple enough *if* you have the right tools
installed. Were I to have added those steps, it'd be as simple as:
- cd /Users/username/.elisp/org.git
- type "make"
- type "make doc"

Like I said, though, if you don't have OS X developer tools (gcc)
installed, you won't be able to do "make," and I think that doc might
require LaTeX, but I could be wrong.