Re: [O] Agenda todo filter order

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Agenda todo filter order
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 20:39:54 -0400

<Sorry for the double post - hit C-c C-s in Gnus trying to set the
 scheduled date and that sends the message... oops>

Hi Carsten,

I'm trying to tune my shiny new block agenda so it has a section that
displays non-project tasks without a scheduled date or deadline date in
the future.

I have a non-standard skipping function that skips project trees which
I'm using in this agenda so what is left should only be non-project
tasks.  My agenda with only this non-standard skipping function works
perfectly and gives me a list of only non-project tasks.

I don't really want to see non-project tasks with a scheduled or
deadline date in the future.  I added org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled
and org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines to 'future to this agenda view and
now I get extra project tasks in the list which is incorrect.

It seems the org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled (and deadlines) vars are
applied to the list of todo tasks first -- so any projects that have a
scheduled or deadline date are skipped (but not the entire tree - just
the top-level project task) -- this makes all of the project subtasks
appear in my 'non-project' task list which is wrong.

If the non-standard skipping function was applied first and then the
test for scheduled/deadline I think it work work the way I want.  Is
this hard to change?

Example:

* TODO Project task
  SCHEDULED: <2011-04-12 Tue>
** TODO Subtask 1
** TODO Subtask 2
* TODO Non project task
* TODO Another non-project-task
  DEADLINE: <2011-06-03 Fri>
* TODO Some future non-project task
  SCHEDULED: <2011-06-18 Sat>

My agenda view for non-project tasks should show only

* TODO Non project task
* TODO Another non-project-task
* TODO Some future non-project task

but with (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled 'future) the top level
'Project task' is skipped and 'Subtask 1' show up (and is considered not
a project since it has no subtasks)

If this can't be changed for some technical reason I guess I can make my
skipping function more intelligent and look up the hierarchy as well to
make sure this task is not under some other project task but I didn't
think that would be necessary to accomplish what I want.

Do you have any suggestions for how I get to my desired end result?

Regards,
Bernt