Re: [O] Formal description of Org files

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Formal description of Org files
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 14:31:20 -0400

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

> If one goal of such a formal description of Org-mode would be to parse
> text Org-mode files into an abstract syntax tree ...

I think this should be the starting point: what are the goals for all this?
Providing a formal description in EBNF is one thing. Preparing an attribute
grammar for input into a specific tool is another (and probably an order of
magnitude - or two - harder) - what would the resulting parser(s) be used for?

Clear(er) answers to these questions should go a long way towards figuring out
what specific tool(s) should be used - or whether it's at all necessary to
worry about that.

Nick