Re: [O] Occurance property, or some similar name?

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Occurance property, or some similar name?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:25:27 -0400

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> I was once one of the many people who apparently originally
> misunderstood what "SCHEDULED" meant, and used to set it to like, an
> appointment time.
>
> It seems the appropriate thing for what I actually meant was to just
> put a timestamp anywhere in the entry and that works out well.  A lot of
> people put it on the header apparently, and that seems insane to me.
>
> I kind of miss how nice it was back when I misunderstood how events work
> (escept for all of those non-TODOs staying around forever on my
> agenda..) where I had a dedicated property for this, and pressing
> C-c C-s would always change that property.
>
> What I'm saying I guess is:
>  - Is there a popular property name for when something should be
>    happening, in a non-TODO way?  I've thought of "OCCURANCE" but maybe
>    that isn't the best (I suspect not)

There is a special property name for active timestamps: TIMESTAMP. You
can access the first active timestamp in an entry (either with column
view or org-entry-get) via the special property TIMESTAMP. Inactive
timestamps = TIMESTAMP_IA.

>  - Maybe if we formalize this property, we should make a command for it?
>    Maybe C-c C-S-o?

There is currently a command to change plain active timestamps from the
agenda. (In fact, this will also change SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
timestamps when on a SCHEDULED or DEADLINE line.)

        org-agenda-date-prompt (>)

AFAIK, there is no similar built-in function to call on headlines in org
files. One can, however, navigate to the timestamp and use the
Shift-arrow keys or C-c . to change the appointment.

>  - It would be nice to formalize this so we could actually steer people
>    in the right direction in the docs.

What would you suggest adding to the following pages?

(info "(org) Creating timestamps")
(info "(org) Special properties")

Best,
Matt