Re: [O] Merging a list and wildcard expansion in org-agenda-files

From: Puneeth Chaganti
Subject: Re: [O] Merging a list and wildcard expansion in org-agenda-files
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 19:36:51 +0530

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Adrian C. <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
> I read the FAQ entry "How can include all org files in a directory in my
> agenda?" and I'd like to merge both examples from the answer for my
> agenda-files.
>
> To include all org files in a directory I would use
> (setq org-agenda-files '("~/org/")).
>
> I have a special projects directory with the format
> ~/projects/<projectname>/project.org for that I would use
>
> (setq org-agenda-files (file-expand-wildcards
> ~"/projects/*/project.org"))

I'm not sure this is the best way to do it, but this works.

(setq org-agenda-files (append
                        '("~/.life-in-plain-text/")
                        (file-expand-wildcards
                         "/tmp/projects/*/projects.org")))

> I tried to define a single org-agenda-files with both, unfortunately I
> don't know a lot of elisp so my tries like using list() all failed. For
> the first directory I guess I could also use file-expand-widlcards with
> *.org, but wasn't succesful in merging two file-expand-wildcards either.
>

> On a simillar note I'd like to pitch in another questions. If someone is
> able to help me, then my agenda view combined would have 30 to 50 files,
> previously I never wondered why all the files end up opened in emacs
> buffers. But now if I combined them all each time I view the agenda I
> will be loading all the files. Any way to avoid opening 30 new buffers?
> Thank you.

AFAIK, there's no way out. Agenda needs all those buffers to be open, to work.
Look at this thread.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-03/msg01720.html

--
Puneeth