Re: [O] Bug: datetree capture from agenda [7.5 (release_7.5.135.g7021f.d

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: datetree capture from agenda [7.5 (release_7.5.135.g7021f.dirty)]
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 08:52:51 +0200

Hi Philip,

thank you for this very detailed report and recipe.

First of all, the date tree target currently is meant only
for entry-type captures.  If you use a plain capture type,
it will go to the end of the buffer and the localization
by the date tree is ignored.

I can see that it might be nice to simply add some text
under the date headline in a date tree, in order to build
up a long journal entry from little snippets.  However, you
are trying to *mix* headline entries and plain entries
under the same date node in the tree, and this seems to
be impossible.  If you first add a headline entry and
then plain text, that plane text will structurally belong
to the headline that you just created.

Wouldn't a better strategy be to have the "plain" section be started with a
time, for example

(setq org-capture-templates
    '(("h" "Journal headline" entry (file+datetree "/tmp/journal.org"))
        ("n" "Journal note" plain (file+datetree "/tmp/journal.org") "*

(the %<%H:%M> requires the current git release...)

Another way to phrase my question is:  What is your use case for this mix?

- Carsten