Re: [O] create new files from capture

From: David Maus
Subject: Re: [O] create new files from capture
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 21:12:50 +0200

At Fri, 1 Apr 2011 13:43:06 -0400,
Buck Brody wrote:
> Is there a way to use capture to create new files?  Can I fill out
> the name of the file, and add a date stamp, from within the capture
> template?

Prompting in the templates happens after the template is placed in the
target buffer.  So AFAIK there is no way to achive this without a
little bit hacking: You could specify a target function

target       Specification of where the captured item should be placed.
             In Org-mode files, targets usually define a node.  Entries will
             become children of this node, other types will be added to the
             table or list in the body of this node.

             Most target specifications contain a file name.  If that file
             name is the empty string, it defaults to `org-default-notes-file'.
             A file can also be given as a variable, function, or Emacs Lisp
             form.

             (function function-finding-location)
                Most general way, write your own function to find both
                file and location

That could read the target file name with a prompt.

> I also considered creating a new headline and then exporting the
> subtree.  The problem is that I need to have the title of the new
> file automatically created based upon the headline, and I can't
> figure out how to do this.

Same here. The function `org-heading-components' (C-h f
org-heading-components RET) will get you the title of the headline
which you would have to transform to a valid file name
(i.e. `replace-regexp-in-string').

Best,
  -- David
--